Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 update has rumored for long enough but it is now confirmed that the update will be coming pretty soon. So if you are a Samsung Galaxy S3 user, we have got some good news for you. While S3 originally came out with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and later got updated to 4.1 Jelly Bean, you can now update Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.2.2 today without actually waiting for it with the CyanogenMod ROM.
Those of you who possess AT&T version of S3 with model number SGH-i747 can update the device with ROM, which usually goes by the name of CM10.1. Go to the CyanogenMod website and before going for update do read the instructions.
Keep in mind that ROM is still going through continuous improvements so there are chances that you may come across few issues but they will be rectified in further updates. Do go through the instructions before updating.
Before updating be sure to check
- You have right version of S3
- USB debugging is enabled
- Your PC has the right drivers
Backup the device and put on ClockworkMod before updating
Things you will need to download:
- CM10.1 ROM
- Google Apps APK
Following are the steps to update Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.2.2
1) Connect your handset to your PC via USB cable.
2) Copy the downloaded CM10.1 M3 Android 4.2.2 ROM and paste it into your S3.
3) Switch your handset off and remove the cable
4) Enter the ClockWorkMode Recovery by holding on to Power, Volume Up and Home Button at the same time.
5) In recovery mode it is recommended that you perform Factory Reset or full Wipe Data so that you don’t face any crashing or ROM compatibility issues. For navigation use Volume button in Recovery Mode in case of CWM recovery and use touchscreen in Recovery Mode in case of TWRP recovery.
6) Select Wipe Cache Partition from the menu and select yes.
7) Select Wipe Dalvik Cache by going to advanced from the menu and select yes.
8) Install the CM10.1 M3 Android 4.2.2 ROM by selecting install zip from SDcard from the Recovery main menu and then select choose zip from internal SDcard then go to the folder and select CM10.1 M3 Android 4.2.2.
9) In the same manner install the Google Apps file by selecting install zip from SDcard from the Recovery main menu and then select choose zip from internal SDcard then go to the folder and select Google Apps file.
10) After everything has been installed go back to main menu and reboot your S3 by selecting reboot system now.
It will take a bit longer to reboot AT&T S3 for the first time so be patient and enjoy your Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update.